A Virtual Workshop!
In this workshop, you will learn the history and the artistry behind Afghan illuminated manuscripts, then learn how to create one inspired by your own ideas and designs. We are delighted to have Sughra Hussainy, a graduate from MICA with a master’s degree in community art and of Turquoise Mountain Institute in Kabul, Afghanistan, leading this unique workshop. You will first learn how to create designs with graph paper and a compass, then how to use tracing paper to transfer the result to fine art paper or handmade paper (hint hint to all of you out there who are looking for a perfect use of your handmade paper!) and last how to apply opaque watercolors, gold pigments and black ink in painting and outlining the designs.
Registration closes February 13, 2021 to allow time for students to purchase their materials. With your registration you'll receive the full materials list (with helpful links) to purchase your items, any helpful handouts about the process, as well as a quick 1-page "how-to" on downloading and using the Zoom video app.
PLEASE NOTE: All workshops will be recorded for Pyramid Atlantic's private use to better optimize our programming and share as examples for funders. You may mute your microphone or turn off your camera if you do not wish to be recorded.
Afghan Illuminated Manuscripts Online; Feb 23, Mar 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30; 6-8pm
- Date & Time: 6-day workshop: Tuesdays, February 23, March 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30th, 6-8pm EST via Zoom (invitation link will be sent to registrants before the event)
- Instructor: Sughra Hussainy
- Materials: At registration, students will receive the full materials list (with any helpful links) to purchase supplies. The list includes:
- Canson Mi-Tienes Pastel paper, 9”x12”
- Sakura poster color set of paints
- Gold ink
- Paint brushes, various sizes including #0, #3, and #5
- Mechanic pencil and eraser
- Paint palette
- Micron or other fine tip, black pen
- Tracing paper
- Graph paper