We’ve taken our popular Block. Print. Repeat. class to the next level in this workshop! Join this fun, intensive, and hands-on workshop where you will design and carve block prints to create a collection of meditatively repetitive, multi-colored, and decorative papers. Then you will collate and bind those papers into a one-of-a-kind pattern book. Day 1 will be an introduction and overview to the block carving process (which students will complete offline during the week). Day 2 students will work on printing their blocks. Finally, on day 3 students will bind their printed creations into a book. This is an excellent opportunity to learn new skills in printmaking and bookbinding while meeting other creative people and take away a gorgeous patterned book that you made yourself, start to finish.
Level: Intermediate—Some previous relief printmaking and/or bookbinding experience is helpful, but not required.
Registration closes May 26 to allow time for students to purchase their materials. With your registration you'll receive the full materials list (with helpful links) to purchase your items, any helpful handouts about the process, as well as a quick 1-page "how-to" on downloading and using the Zoom video app.
PLEASE NOTE: All workshops will be recorded for Pyramid Atlantic's private use to better optimize our programming and share as examples for funders. Class recordings will also be made available to other registrants who may want to review the session. You may mute your microphone or turn off your camera if you do not wish to be recorded.
Block. Print. Repeat. Bind! Online; Jun 6, 13, and 20; time varies
- Date & Time: 3-day workshop on Saturdays: June 6, 2pm–3pm, and June 13 and 20, 11am–1pm via Zoom (invitation link will be sent to registrants before the event)
- Instructor: Sarah Matthews
- Materials: At registration, students will receive the full materials list (with any helpful links) to purchase supplies. The list includes:
- 1 Drawing Pad
- 1 Glue Stick
- 12”x18” Soft Kut Printing Block
- Utility Knife
- Bone Folder
- Speedball Linoleum Cutters
- Bookcloth Tape
- Ink Pads (choose a variety of colors including black)
- Cutting Mat
- Scrap paper or newsprint (to protect surfaces and to assist with clean-up of tools)