A Virtual Workshop!
Are you the type of person who enjoys the satisfaction of making something with your hands rather than buying it? Join us then for this special online workshop where you'll learn how to use commonly sourced materials and tools to make your own papermaking frame, also known as a mould and deckle. The first part of the day will be spent making the two-part frame, and after lunch you'll have the opportunity to learn how to use your new frame, a blender, and some cotton and abaca linters to make some paper. We will take you through all of the steps so that you can continue to make paper by hand at home.
All levels welcome.
Note: Registration closes July 29, 2020 to allow time for the instructor to package and mail the materials kit. With your registration you'll receive the kit (packaged using gloves and mask!), an additional list (with helpful links) of items to have on hand, any handouts about the process, as well as a quick 1-page "how-to" on downloading and using the Zoom video app. See the Details section for more information on the materials for this class.
PLEASE NOTE: All workshops will be recorded for Pyramid Atlantic's private use to better optimize our programming and share as examples for funders. You may mute your microphone or turn off your camera if you do not wish to be recorded.
DIY Mould and Deckle Making Online; Aug 9; 12pm-6pm
- Date: Sunday, August 9, 12pm–6pm via Zoom (invitation link will be sent to registrants before the event)
- Instructor: Gretchen Schermerhorn
- Materials: Registration includes a $45 fee to cover the course materials kit, which includes: wooden frame pieces, polypropylene heat shrinking screen, weather stripping, .5 lb of cotton linters, .5 lb of abaca linters, 1 paint strainer, and a set of wool felts
Additional materials students will need:
- staple gun
- Duct tape
- wood glue
- plastic or watertight container, around 50-60 qt.
- inexpensive plastic pitcher
- A blender or emulsion mixer
- Non-fusible interfacing-at least 5 yards
(links for recommended items will be provided at registration)