Learn bookbinding basics while creating your very own, custom sketchbook! Participants will learn how to design and bind a softcover sketchbook customized to be perfectly suited for their needs using different papers, with varying sizes and colors. At the end of class, each student comes away with a totally unique book for sketching, writings, keeping inspirations and more. The class will also discuss methods and techniques for keeping an artful sketchbook, such as using linoleum block printing, painting with gouache, and using vellum.
Note: Registration closes July 9, 2020 to allow time for students to purchase their materials. With your registration you'll receive the full materials list (with helpful links) to purchase your items, any helpful handouts about the process, as well as a quick 1-page "how-to" on downloading and using the Zoom video app.
PLEASE NOTE: All workshops will be recorded for Pyramid Atlantic's private use to better optimize our programming and share as examples for funders. You may mute your microphone or turn off your camera if you do not wish to be recorded.
DIY Personalized Sketchbooks; Jul 19; 12pm-6pm
- Date & Time: Sunday, July 19, 12pm-6pm via Zoom (invitation link will be sent to registrants before the event)
- Instructor: Aubrey Dunn
- Materials: Students must purchase their materials separately. At registration, students will receive the full supply list (with helpful links), which includes:
- Paper: The choice of paper for this class can be chosen by the student depending on what they enjoy using in a sketchbook! The instructor provides a list of suggestions.
- X-acto knife
- Self-healing cutting mat
- PVA glue
- Bookbinding thread (or equivalent)
- Binder’s needles
- Bone folder
- Book cradle, or a soft surface for punching holes
- Glue brush
- Waste paper or newsprint (to protect surfaces from glue)
- Ruler (preferably metal)