IN-STUDIO WORKSHOP! Second class added by popular demand!
We are excited to partner with Hummingbird Farms in Ridgely, MD, to bring you the unique experience of making paper from the hemp plants grown on their farm. The use of fiber hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) for pulp and paper dates back more than 2,000 years. It is one of the strongest natural fibers in the world, which is one of the reasons for its longevity and durability. In this workshop, you will learn how to cook and prepare the hemp fiber, beat it by hand, and then how to form, press, and dry the sheets. You'll leave the workshop with 20-30 sheets of paper, and instructions and enough materials to continue making.
Note: Registration closes September 15, 2020. Material fees are included with your registration, though a small list of additional items needed will be sent with your confirmation.
PLEASE NOTE: Pyramid is dedicated to protect the safety and health of its employees and guests. Class size will be limited to ensure adequate spacing for students and strict cleaning regimens will be implemented for the space and tools, both before and after each class. Please contact us with any additional questions or concerns.
From Plants to Paper: Hemp Papermaking; Sep 20; 10am–3pm
- Date & Time: Saturday, September 20, 10am–3pm
- Instructor: Gretchen Schermerhorn
- Materials: Registration includes a fee of $25 to cover the class materials. Additional supplies you'll need for the class:
- apron (waterproof is preferred)
- pencil and paper for note taking
- towel for drying hands, etc. (optional)