Virtual Workshop—Class extended by popular demand!
An Introduction to Paper Engineering for Artists and Crafters:
Pop-up books enthrall and amaze the viewer by combining a fascinating mix of art and paper engineering. While these creations can be incredibly complex, many of the techniques used in creating the movable magic are simple to learn and, with practice, can be used alone or in combination to create fun interactivity that truly “elevates" your paper projects. These techniques will lend a third dimension of shape and shadow to your 2-dimensional artwork that can heighten a story, reveal a secret, or create surprise through motion. You can employ these festive new tools to make cheerful cards to share with loved ones or "re"-create unique new art works from old prints, papers and other ephemera you may have uncovered lately in your stash.
This six hour class will be divided into a series of three online sessions that will cover a variety of different basic pop-up structures used in paper engineering. Our demo projects will draw inspiration from favorite artists, handmade prints and specialty papers that will arrive in a class ready packet mailed to you by the instructor. Students are encouraged to use their own favorite bits of ephemera, photographs or copies of their original art to personalize the pop-ups created during the class as well. Additional information on pop-up resources and printed reference instructions will be included for use after the class has ended.
Note: Registration closes June 30, 2020 to allow time for students to receive/purchase materials. Your registration includes a materials fee to cover the purchase and shipping of a class "kit," which includes cardstock, a UHU glue stick, and specialty art papers, prints and ephemera specific for each session of class. You will also receive an additional list (with helpful links) to purchase/gather other needed supplies, any available handouts about the process, as well as a quick 1-page "how-to" on downloading and using the Zoom video app.
PLEASE NOTE: All workshops will be recorded for Pyramid Atlantic's private use to better optimize our programming and share as examples for funders. You may mute your microphone or turn off your camera if you do not wish to be recorded.
Pop-Up Building Blocks Online; Jul 11, 18, and 25; 11am–1pm
- Date & Time: 3-day workshop on consecutive Saturdays: July 11, July 18, and July 25, 11am–1pm via Zoom (invitation link will be sent to registrants before the event)
- Instructor: Jeana Foley
- Materials: Registration includes a fee to cover a class materials kit. These items will be packaged and shipped to you with safety in mind (using gloves and a mask). The kit includes:
- Cardstock, in various weights and colors
- UHU glue stick
- Specialty art papers, prints and ephemera specific to the three class sessions
Additional materials students will need for class include:
- Self-healing mat or other work surface for cutting
- Scissors for cutting cardstock
- Fine pointed scissors or Xacto knife for detailed cutting
- Collage papers, photos or copies of artwork from your own collection
- Rulers - metal and clear are each useful in their own way
- Clothes pins or large paper clips
- Scrap paper or recycled magazines for glue waste
- Bone folder (optional)
- Tape roller (optional)